Other Names: Sophia Camille Truszkowska
Bl. Mary Angela Truszkowska
Baptized Sophia Camille Truszkowska, Mary Angela Truszkowska was the founder of the Felician Sisters, one of the first active-contemplative religious communities that today includes more than 1,800 Sisters on four continents.
Even as a child, she developed a strong interest in serving those in need and a deep spirituality. The daughter of a juvenile court judge, she learned about the social ills of her community from a young age both through her father’s experiences and his extensive library. The family moved to Warsaw in 1837.
She considered joining the Visitation Sisters, but this was a cloistered community and she chose not to leave her ill father. She became a member of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul and worked among the poor, especially to aid in the moral and religious education of abandoned and neglected children.
In 1855 she dedicated herself and founded a new order, called the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Felix of Cantalice. This order became commonly known as the Felician Sisters, the name used today. The Felician Sisters have been involved in a wide range of ministries, both under Mother Angela’s direction and after her retirement. The first five Felician Sisters were sent to America in 1874.
She was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1993.